Monday, April 2, 2007

Lights and Power: Starting off on a Good Foot

First of all, I would like to point out that i am not gifted with what one might call "good vision." My glasses prescription is some rediculous negative number on each eye. Nothing as terrible as my dad's vision, but still, we're talking below 7 or somewhere there abouts. So when i'm home, even in the day sometimes, I will leave the lights on. This isnt some energy wasting scheme, its simply what helps me to be able to see.

Of course, my bat-like occular tendancies are not the subject of this post. What I'm really here to talk about tonight is the shoddy wiring and power in this building, that blows lightbulbs out like there is no tomorrow. I've been back from spring break for a week and a day now. And 2 of the 6 lightbulbs in here are already burned out. Mind you, i changed them literally the day I left for spring break, and they obviously weren't on while I was gone.

"Falki, light bulbs are not expensive, what is your problem!?" you might be saying to yourself. Well, to you, oh doubter of the powers of my logic, I reply: "If the power in here is tearing up my lightbulbs this fast, what the hell is it doing to my desktop computer, my laptop computer, my television, etc?! hunh?! WELL?!" No response? Damn. I've already had to replace my (only 8 month old) power supply in my computer since i've been down here. And yes, I have a surge protector - but this isn't surges as much as it is just plain dirty power.

Who's fault is this? My sucky apartment building? AEP who supplies it? Athens City? I sure as hell don't know... but if you're some kind of genious with how electricity works and want to inform me, I invite you to do so.

But no matter who's problem this is, it sucks, and no amount of lightbulbs or damage to my precious electronics is going to fix it.

Coming soon:
This week's assignment post (when i find out what that is).
The "Absolute Opposite of Hot" Water Incident
Water Pressure: A New Concept in Modern Living

No comments: