Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Podcast Process (Assignment)

Creating my podcast was relatively easy for me. I was originally going to use my Mbox2 and ProTools to do all the recording, but due to time constraints, I simply used one of the microtrack recorders from the school's equipment room. They aren't bad little recorders, but they are definately not ideal in either sound quality or design.

I took the raw audio from the sound recorder home with me, and popped it into ProTools. It took me about an hour to edit out all the randomness that goes on in a conversation between Eddie and me, and another 20 minutes or so to apply some filtering to fix some of the issues created by the microtrack.

The final step was actually the most annoying. I took my edited audio and put it into Garage Band, simply because it was easier to "Assemble" the podcast there. After choosing the theme music, and recording the brief intro and outro, I put the cover picture up and that was that. I still dislike GarageBand. I don't dislike the program all THAT much, but as a trained audio engineer, used to working in ProTools, I sometimes find the simplicity annoying.

I enjoyed making this podcast, and think I might begin to do a series of them. I should really pick up some decent but cheap lavalier mic's for my ProTools rig, and perhaps a rack/cheap compressor. Ahh all the things I find to spend money on...

In any case, I am going to post another entry that is not an assignment immediately following this. So, that is all!

No comments: